Monday, March 30, 2009

What Pentwater, MI Means to Me -or- What I Did on My Summer Vacation. By Jeremy B. Hirsch


Some of you don't know that Holly had a second life growing up. Yep. One of small town quiet charm, beach bumming, Lake Michigan beauty and clown bands.

Holly's parents decided to purchase a comfortable lil' cottage, only a block from Lake Michigan, right after Holly came screaming into the world. Pentwater, MI was to be the perfect place for Holly, her sisters and parents to escape to every summer. Enjoy some fresh air and the 'big lake.' Forget those drab winters in Eastern Michigan. Sit in the sand, soak up the sunshine, and nap to the waves rolling in over the beach. Perfection.

So, Holly had her second life during her summers in Pentwater, MI. Nearly every weekend they traveled the 3 hours of excitement across the 'Mitten.' Three hours and they always shot right past their cottage. It's on the street leading to the beach. THE BEACH. In order to immediately signify their arrival in town, they'd need to see That Beach, and look out over the calm of Lake Michigan. It was like a deep sigh - We can finally relax.

Holly has as many stories to tell about growing up (running around and getting into trouble, making friends and getting into more trouble) in Pentwater, MI as she does back at "home" in Grand Blanc. Maybe even more.
And so she grew up. And became an "adult." And met another "adult." Fell in love with that other "adult." A bald "adult."

About 8 years ago, Holly brought me to Pentwater, MI for the first time. I'd been living in Chicago for a while before I met Holly, but dreamt of living Out West. I really wanted to live near the mountains. Those mountains signified peace in my mind, stemming back to trips with my own parents where we had our summer vacations. But it wasn't to be. I fell in love and lost all inclination to move anywhere. Except into an apartment with Holly.
Then she said, "Let's go Up North, to Pentwater, MI. You'll love it."

I loved it. I still remember my first trip up there. Getting off the highway and saying that I knew it'd be pretty but wasn't expecting it to be that beautiful. Shootin' right past the cottage to go look at the lake. I don't even like laying in the sand and getting sunburned. But it was PERFECT. I could walk all over that town and discover new pieces of perfection. Finding quiet places. Relaxing at the cottage. Distraction-free reading. Hiking up Old Baldy. Running down Old Baldy. Getting drunk at the Antler. Cookouts. Fireworks. Homecoming. Watching the sun set. Being hypnotized by the sound of the waves rolling onshore. Just feeling like I could breathe again after feeling suffocated by Chicago. I was hooked.

The other thing is, I fell for Holly really fast. I accidentally blurted out "I love you" when she was cracking me up on one of our early dates (awkward). I secretly think I fell in love on the first date (aaaaaaaaawww). But I feel like I really, truly, deeply, madly, cliche-ly fell in love with her in Pentwater. It was our perfect little escape. Where we first saw each other without any mental guards up and experienced how much FUN love could be. (Still is). And suddenly the mountains faded away. Lake Michigan became my Out West. My life with Holly became the place where I found peace.

That's why we are getting married there. It's our favorite place on many levels. We are so excited for all of our friends and loved ones to come and celebrate with us. I am confident that we're all gonna have an absolute BLAST that weekend and I can't wait for everyone to be able to sigh deeply and listen to the waves.

2 comments:

  1. That one made me get misty Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy (aka Meatball)- You have me crying...you are very special to us. Thank you for becoming part of our family. Love, Ali

    ReplyDelete